Monday, February 1, 2010

The 52nd Annual Grammy Awards: Part 2

Aw, I need to start my homework and at least pretend to be concentrating on it, so my commentary will be briefer for most of the remainder of the show.  The more I love something, the more time I'll take away from mass comm research methods :P  Hopefully, I'll be able to rewatch the show online tomorrow.  I wish I had DVR here at school :(

Congratulations, Bobby Darin! He is one of my favorite singers from his era, and one of the reasons himself that I like music my grandparents listen to!

I like the way Kings of Leon roll.  Admitting they're drunk, and offering to buy shots for anyone they didn't thank?  Hey guys, you didn't thank me!

I wasn't really listening to the intro for T-Pain, so when I saw the first 2 opera singers, I thought it was a song from Camelot?! I really have been listening to too many showtunes! Haha!  But I love this song!  And Kings of Leon unintentionally introduced this song really well!  I love hip-hop dancing.  With performances like this I find myself not watching the musicians at all, but rather the dancers.

OMG SLASH!  Are they about to go into some Guns and Roses?! Yay, hair metal and acid wash jeans!  Awww, they're not, song's over now.  If Axl had come on stage, I would have freaked. outtttt.

I'm going to go vote for which song Bon Jovi is going to play!  Oy vey, Justin Beiber we're talking about Bon Jovi, not Beyonce.  That is why 5 years olds should not be on stage at the Grammy's.  Oh no, either my wireless connection is acting up again, or the CBS website cant handle all the Bon Jovi loving!  It is repeatedly "unable to service your request."  I voted for "Living on a Prayer."  Not my favorite, but from my favorite album, Slippery When Wet.  It's kind of funny that over 50% of the songs on their greatest hits CD came from SWW.



I love Katy Perry :) I'm not sure if she is performing tonight, but I hope so.  Later tonight I'm going to scour the internet for more songs of her that I don't have.  When I say that, I mean different versions because I have and have memorized everything.  She looks like she's channeling Bettie Page tonight!  And what do you know, she tweeted earlier that she would be!  I didn't even remember that when I saw her though, so her announcement didn't influence my impression.  She is Bettie Page tonight.  I love how versatile she is and how she could easily fit into any decade if she went back in time.  In my pretend world, Katy is my best friend!

Taylor Swift and Stevie Nicks...I'm not a huge fan of Taylor Swift (I'll cover my face real quick so you can throw eggs at me).  I really thought that she was still like seventeen.  Turns out, she's older than me.  If she's twenty years old, she needs to stop singing about fairytales and middle-school type crushes.  Singing Rhiannon, she sounds pretty good though!  I didn't know Stevie was making an appearance at tonight's show, so I was kind of annoyed when Taylor was singing a classic Fleetwood Mac song by herself.  But once Stevie came out, the performance got real.  Her voice...so unique.  And it sounds the same as it did in the seventies.  She lost some weight from the nineties.  Overall, she's looking really good.

Michael Jackson Tribute

I'm SOOO excited for this!  When MJ died, I didn't realize how much I loved him.  Sure, I loved his songs and thought he was an amazing dancer, but, yeah, he got pretty weird.  But I cried when I found out about his death.  And listened to nothing but his music for a week.  And watched my DVD of his best music videos every day.  And tried to learn the choreography to Thriller.

This footage is really sad.  It's beautiful, but it's really sad.  I was expecting a video montage of his best videos or performances or something.  Wow, this performance isn't at all what I expected.  I still love it, I just wasn't expecting it.  I love Beyonce rocking the 3D glasses.  I didn't pick up my pair at Target, so this whole thing is starting to hurt my eyes a little!  And Usher may be wearing regular sunglasses, but damn he looks good.  Jennifer Hudson's bangs are really cute!

I'm sorry, but bringing his children on stage is NOT what Michael would have wanted.  Even though they are talking about how great he was, he did everything to keep them away from the Hollywood things.  And what Paris said made my eyes tear up.  She looks so young.  I think going on stage and talking about him was too much for her.  Her eyes looked so sad, and during her speech, it was like she wasn't even there.  She was somewhere else, maybe Neverland, in another time with her father.  People can talk about how fucked up Michael was and how he shouldn't have been allowed near little kids, etc.  I believe from what I've seen that he was a great father.  The whole problem with Michael's relationships with little kids was that inside, he was still a little kid.  He probably brought them so much fun while giving them important parts of childhood he was never allowed.  I read in multiple places (which means its more likely to be true, but who knows) that their education was CONSTANT and advanced for their young ages.  He knew that he wasn't normal, and he wanted more for his children.

And my blabbing about Michael Jackson is over, because another one of my 80's favorites is now on screen.

HI BON JOVI!!!  Jon Bon Jovi still looks ah-mazing.  Reason #234252 why I want to be Carrie Bradshaw: she sleeps with him in the episode that he guest stars on Sex and the City.  That's one of my favorite episodes.  If you don't know the episode I'm talking about, I HAVE to recap.  Carrie gives going to therapy a shot and meets a guy (JBJ) in the waiting room.  After they sleep together, she asks him why he is in therapy.  His answer: "Once I sleep with a woman I completely lose interest. How bout you?" Her answer: "I pick the wrong guys."  Before this, she didn't really believe in what her therapist was preaching, but there was her proof.

"Living on a Prayer"!!!  I love Tommy and Gina!  I wish the girl from Sugarland would get off the stage, though.  And JBJ's dance moves are kind of creeping me out.  It's not that he's now, like, 40, and still shaking his ass, cause that part looks good!  I don't know what it is, but it looks like he's sort of forgotten how to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment