Monday, February 1, 2010

The 52nd Annual Grammy Awards

The Grammy's are the one award show I get completely enthralled in.  The past few years I've been disappointed with the performances and stuff, but this year is already amazing and it is only 20 minutes in!  I will be blogging live about some of my favorite parts of the show tonight, but publishing it all in one post together afterwards.

Comment with your favorite/least favorite parts of the show!

Opening Act

Oh. My. Gawd.  Lady Gaga AND Elton John?! What you have here are two of pop culture's most outrageous, controversial, and fabulous stars from different generations on one stage.  Thank you, Grammy's!  They are also two starts that were hugely popular within the gay culture before and during their worldwide fame.  While I haven't had the chance to see Lady live, when I was fifteen I was extremely lucky and got to see Elton John.  I doubt I will ever see a concert as amazing as his.  After the concert, my mom summed it up perfectly: "It was really a show.  A full-on performance." I think the Grammy's performance committee couldn't have planned a better opening act.  Lady Gaga, among my generation, is probably seen as the pop star that has the most outrageous outfits and says and does the craziest things.  But her wardrobe predecessor made sequins and crazy sunglasses.

Stephen Colbert's Intro

It was hilarious.  I don't have much to say about it, but it really was funny.  I liked how he brought his daughter into it.  She looks pretty nervous every time the camera goes to her, and is apparently not a very good actor.  Personally, I think she looks like she's a little backed up and could use some prune juice (I know, gross).

Taylor Swift's Acceptance Speech

She must be SO happy Beyonce wasn't nominated for this.  Who knows, it may be the only full acceptance speech she gets to tonight!

Miss Beyonce!

She is so amazingly fabulous.  Just standing there in the aisle, she exudes so much power and confidence.  That dress is phenomenal.  It really accentuates the curves that she is known for and that makes her stand out from the anorexic-looking stars in all the other music videos.  And her power continues as she walks up to the stage.  I'd like to see someone else attract that much attention in a room full of A-listers through D-listers without making a sound.

I'm not a huge fan of "If I Were a Boy," this performance is changing my opinion of it.  Beyonce could make "The Wheels on the Bus" a hit single.

And is that an Alanis lyric I hear coming out of her mouth?! Oh shit! It is!  "You Oughta Know" should be the anthem for strong, powerful and confident women...just like Beyonce!  The girl who put men in their place and make feminism cute back in the 90's is being covered by Beyonce, who could put anyone in their place!  I love how this year's performances are bringing together different generations. And girlfriend, get down and shake your hair!  I LOVE her moves!

How many times has Beyonce done one of these legendary Grammy's performances?  Remember when she sang with Prince (or the artist formerly known as?)?  And Tina Turner?!?!?!  My favorite part about her performance with prince was that he was wearing platforms that looked like they made him about 9 inches taller, but was still shorter than Beyonce, who was barefoot.

I love Seal's accent.  Don't really like his music, but love his accent and love his wife!  As for who he is introducing...I feel like Pink has gotten a little weird.  Actually, not a little weird.  I like a little weird.  But her songs, like Fun house, and just overall the way she acts has gotten pretty bizarre.  I'm not saying I don't like it, but I miss the spunky girl that was "mizzundastood"

Black Eyed Peas Performance

These kids are definitely one of my favorite hip-hop groups.  A lot of people say they've gotten too commercial, too mainstream, etc.  But out of the songs on the Top 40 charts, theirs have the sickest beats.  I have imagined choreographing/performing dances to almost all of their songs.  Especially this one.  Which makes me a little unhappy with the performance.  Not with the Peas themselves, but with the background dancers.  This song has so many aspects that choreography could do so much with.  And with lyrics about acrobatics, the dancers barely even take both feet off the floor.  They are doing a lot of the same movements as the band, but the band is limited because their singing.  Speaking of which, I love Fergie Ferg's voice.  So unique.  And her body and the clothes she puts on it are amazing.  Now "Imma Be" is over and they've gone into "What a Feeling," which I admit, has become one of the songs I change the radio station for.  But once its not on the radio every five minutes, it will be one of my favorite again.  Their sign-off was also really cool..."Welcome to the future!" because so many of their songs have that "futuristic" sorta thing going on and this is not the first time their wardrobe has been outer space-chic.  And all of the dances to their songs on So You Think You Can Dance have the same theme.  Drink up my cup, Mozel Tov!

**pictures are from The Grammy's official website

No comments:

Post a Comment